Friday, January 14, 2011

In a word - ohmygodthisplaceisinsane!

HERROOOOOOOOOO!!!!



Well... We've done Delhi (and yes, the belly was REVOLTING!! I shall spare you the details... and I think the culprit was a few bits of ice in my lemon miranda - yuck!).

We headed to Varanasi and spent about 4 days checking the craziness - Lonely Planet says 'it's not for the faint-hearted' and I am apparently that. Or at least I was to start with. We spent 28 hours getting there on a train and I must admit, had the best sleep in India to date. The beds in every place we've stayed are like a nice soft concrete on an inner spring of concrete with concrete blankets and pillows - delightful to say the least. Although I must say, now that I'm used to it, I'm really quite loving it... no more sore backs for me, thank you.


Day before yesterday, we headed to Agra for a day trip to the Taj, Fatepuhr Sikri, the Baby Taj and The Agra Fort!

So, as you can imagine, it's not exactly what I expected and it's also everything I expected...

 
I have to say THANK YOU so much to all the encouraging notes everyone's sent me - The first week here was MUCH more of a culture/tummy/smell shock than I could EVER have imagined and, being the cry-baby that I am becoming more and more, the further I get from 20, I freaked out and threw my toys out of the cot. I spat the dummy and had a tanty. I was not a happy camper! (Not. Happy. Jan.) However, following the desensitisation of my (somewhat oversensitive) sense of smell, the support of you guys and most incredible husband in Australia (slash India), I have pulled up my socks, dried my eyes (princess) and am getting on with the business of travelling solo (as of a few hours ago when Glen left) through a very, very different continent.



This afternoon, I'm heading to Mumbai on an overnight train (eek) to spend about 4-5 days with her... After that, I'll probably head to Goa to become a hermit and set up a shanty on the beach, grow my underarm hair and smoke copiuos amounts of ganja. Or not.



Send my love to Mildred and in proper Indian blessing-ness, "May you all be blessed with one thousand sons".

Namaste. Or something.

Miss you like a turtle misses its shell (given that the shell is missing, of course).

1 comment:

  1. HI Claire

    great to hear that you are having a great time and that you are over your Delhi Belly. Love the posts keep them up. Thinking of you over there and wishing I was there with you enjoying the freedom and doing whatever you want. Mel

    ReplyDelete