Monday, July 29, 2013

2. Make 1000 origami cranes


Երկու. (That’s 2 in Armenian)
Make 1000 origami cranes.
Ok, 100.
Ok, 30.
Ok, as many as I can.


Ok, so I only made 7. But given I only decided to learn and make these at 4pm today, I think I’ve done ok. Those little suckers are harder than they look to make. Like Sadako, I fell short of my goal, albeit with far less fatal consequences. But in place of the other 993, I’ll attempt to at least pass on my new skills. So grab a piece of paper and play along.

First, make your paper square. Like, der.


Fold in half diagonally and vertically both ways. 
Yeah don't get cocky. 


Now lift the top corner and squish the edge in to make a new diamond. Yep, like that. 

  
Do that twice. Should look like this. 


Not so smug now, are we? Now fold the edges in so the bottom edges line up to the midline. 


Now shift the axis of the earth 16 degrees so that the light from the sun refracts through the solar system and if you're happy and you know it, clap your hands. 

And voila: 

So I can't say I've found a new passion, but hey, can make a mean paper crane. Thank you youtube.com. Where would our papercrafting skills be without you. 

1 comment:

  1. It's been a whole WEEEEEEEEK. I'm dying here.

    ReplyDelete